Extended power outages may impact the whole community. A power outage is when the electrical power goes out unexpectedly.
A power outage may:
- Disrupt communications, water and transportation.
- Close retail businesses, grocery stores, gas stations, ATMs, banks and other services.
- Cause food spoilage and water contamination.
- Prevent use of medical devices.
Power Outage Tips
- Keep freezers and refrigerators closed (refrigerators will keep food cold for about four hours, a full freezer will keep the temperature for about 48 hours)
- Use a generator but ONLY outdoors and away from windows
- Do not use a gas stove or oven to heat your home
- Disconnect appliances and electronics to avoid damage from electrical surges
- Have alternate plans for refrigerating medicines or using power-dependent medical devices
- Check with local officials about heating and cooling locations near you
- Use coolers with ice if necessary